Thursday, July 29, 2010

Baby Food

After a conversation with the ladies at the park yesterday I was inspired to make something "homemade", and I decided...baby food. You can't really go wrong, right?! Also, my camera battery died so I couldn't take pics, but as soon as it's charged I'll make more and post. :)

*BAKED APPLES

-2 Apples, cored
-A pat of Butter for each
-Cinnamon

*Core your apples, then put your pat of butter in the opening, sprinkle with some cinnamon. Place in a pan (I used a loaf pan) fill with about an inch or two of water. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until soft (I turned them over half way through cooking).

*Once cooked, slice into chunks and place in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds, look at the consistency and add a spoon full or two of left over water through the top of processor. Continue until desired consistency is met. Spoon into a muffin tin and place in freezer. Let it freeze overnight until frozen. On a sheet pan, fill with an inch or so of hot water, place muffin tin on it and wait a minute then remove, and turned upside down and they should come out just like ice from an ice cube tray!

**I wrapped each "puck" in plastic wrap, then foil and labeled for the freezer. I hear they last for 1 month. Miss Shelby enjoys eating them frozen to relieve teething pains. The big kids tried them, and asked if I could make more and make them into Popsicles...sounds a little gross, but they assure me it's really good. :)

*CARROTS

-As many Carrots as you want to cook (I used 4 or 5 big ones)

*Wash and remove ends of carrots. Chop into one inch chunks. Place a few inches of water into a stock pot, add a steamer pan/basket over top, turn stove onto high, put a lid on. Once boiling, add carrots to steamer pan/basket. Allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until tender.

*Add cooked carrots to food processor. Pulse for a few seconds, look at the consistency and add a spoon full or two of left over water through the top of processor (I think I read that if your baby is under 7 months of age, you SHOULD NOT use the left over water! Something about NITRATES. Use breast milk, or fresh water instead). Continue until desired consistency is met. Spoon into a muffin tin and place in freezer. Let it freeze overnight until frozen. On a sheet pan, fill with an inch or so of hot water, place muffin tin on it and wait a minute then remove, and turned upside down and they should come out just like ice from an ice cube tray!

**I wrapped each "puck" in plastic wrap, then foil and labeled for the freezer. I hear they last for 1 month.

Super simple and super healthy for you wee one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!