Thursday, April 21, 2011

Homemade Soft Pretzels....with a Twist!

  Alexis our oldest is always begging to bake something. We have this book called "The Ultimate Book of Kid Concoctions 2" by John E. & Danita Thomas, that grandma sent them. Long story short...Alexis was begging last week to make these "Crazy Pretzels" and I caved and let her have at it. I figured it would be a good way for her to incorporate some math into her day (besides school work) and most importantly the ability to follow directions! And boy oh boy am I glad she did! These are sooo good. Now this could be the pregnancy talking/tasting, but they just hit the spot when you need a little snack....or the entire batch...it's up to you. If I were you I'd share, but be prepared to make a double batch to make them last! Although if you have a "normal" size family, aren't into devouring an entire tray, or have self control, it might be safe for you to just tackle the single batch. ;) 


 They are super simple...my favorite! Here's how it goes...you ready? There are 6 ingredients. Do you think you can handle it? :) 

1 Package Yeast, 1 Tbsp. Sugar, 1 1/2 cups Warm Water, 4 cups Flour, 1 tsp. Salt, 1 Egg, beaten
(The rest is below in the bottom picture)
The girls watching the yeast proof...
Kneading the dough...
My dough snatchers...
Beautiful baby soft ball of dough...
I used a heart shaped cookie cutter for my "Crazy Pretzel" shape...Brushing it with egg gives it the nice golden look...otherwise they look a little anemic...
Here is the end result...Notice Ty's race car w/ driver...Alexis' flounder fish...Addie's number 3...Gabe's pretzel knot...
*Dip them in good old American mustard while they are still soft & warm and you've got yourself one delicious snack!
Recipe for "Crazy Pretzels"... (click to enlarge photo)

  We've made these 4x's in the last week. It makes a great snack to take with to all the baseball games. Now I know some of you cringed at the fact that I say "dip it in mustard," but it really is a lot healthier than cheese and gives it a nice kick. You can also sprinkle some Kosher salt on top before you bake. 

Hope you enjoy them as much as we have!

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try these out! Thank you for sharing! yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made them in a looong while...you've inspired me to do it again with my kiddos soo!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!