Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Marinated Flank Steak

  This is my mom's Marinated Flank Steak recipe. SO good! I'm not the biggest fan of beef (unless it's in a hamburger smothered in sauce and toppings, or wrapped in bacon a.k.a. Filet Mignon), but this is absolutely one of my favorite meat dishes hands down, ever...well I guess it could be tied with Baby Back Ribs smothered in BBQ sauce, but you get the idea. I was wondering if I should share it, because if you come to our home for dinner, this is probably what I'll serve you.  :) But, in the good fashion of sharing (our mothers always told us to) I will.

Flank Steak Marinade

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp sliced green onion
1 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
3 tsp sesame seeds

*Grab a mixing bowl, gallon size Ziploc freezer bag, and your ingredients.
-Put the Ziploc inside the mixing bowl (this holds your baggie in place while you add the ingredients.)
-Add all ingredients, zip, and shake. Making sure all brown sugar is dissolved.
*At this point, you'll need your flank steak. Cut the steak into 3 even pieces (this allows the marinade to really get into all the meat evenly.) 
-Then zip, and freeze. Freezing is super important...the meat seems to suck the marinade into itself when frozen, and you get so much more flavor then if you were to just marinade in the fridge overnight.

  Super easy and packed with tons of flavor! The meat is tender and you don't even need a steak knife to cut it...unless you are me and forgot to cut against the grain once. Makes for some tough meat! And when you are spending the price of flank steak, you don't want to screw it up. I also serve this with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed Garlic Green Beans. Yes, we love garlic in this home.

 You'll want to BBQ the steak on medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, depending on how done you like it. This will give you medium, still pink meat, preferred by most. I like mine dead...no pink...at all. So Bob leaves one section on for a bit longer just for me. :) The only area I'm really high maintenance in would be how my meat is cooked and the food I eat (I'm just picky)...give me some slack! lol

 



  Yummy Garlic Mashed Potatoes...sorry I don't have a pick of the green beans, but they are heavenly!! Put a little butter and olive oil in the bottom of a pan throw in fresh French Green Beans (get them at Costco) add minced garlic (tons of it) and kosher salt. You want to cook them fast and on high heat so they don't get soggy. The garlic browns a bit and gets kind of caramelized. This is the only way I can eat green beans. They still have their crispness and are infused with tons of flavor. Heavenly I tell you!

  Now that it's getting to be BBQ season, try it out! You won't be disappointed. At least I don't think you would be! ;)

Enjoy~ Heather

3 comments:

  1. This sounds sooo good! I will def. try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heather! my mouth is seriously watering! we have missed this food so much! your amazing mashed potatoes, your moms steak!!!

    just curious, have you ever tried to do with with another cut of beef... i am not sure if we can get flank here???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do know that Mom would use skirt steak when we lived in Cali. & started using flank when we moved & couldn't find skirt here. It's fattier, but still tender and good. I don't see why it wouldn't be good on almost any cut of beef? But, I would ask Mom...she's the meat lady! :) At least you should be able to find all these ingredients in C and can make it now!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!